Day 14 – 19: JUNGLE ADVENTURES IN THE AMAZON REGION!
A trip to the Amazon jungle is an unforgettable experience. Discover plants, animals, traditions and people that are unique to this area.
On the first day, you will be picked up in he morning at your hotel to be brought to the airport for your flight to the absolute south of Colombia, Leticia! Somebody from the local organization will await you in the airport and bring you to the starting point of your adventure.
You will spend 2 nights in a lodge on the Peruvian side of the Amazon River. Here you will make some walks through the jungle and a couple of river expeditions to discover the amazing flora and fauna of this area, including the unique pink dolphins, grey dolphins, piranhas, local caymans, a variety of monkeys and birds, and the famous Victoria Regia Lily which is the largest aquatic plant in the world. You will not only walk during the daytime but also have a walk after the sun has set to be able to see different kind of nocturnal animals, like frogs, bats, tarantulas and, if you are lucky, the jaguar. One night you will go on a boat trip to look for caymans.
On the third day you are transported by boat to another area of the Amazon jungle to spend the other two nights. This time you will sleep in wooden bungalows in the middle of the higher jungle. Here you can notice a significant difference in vegetation and flora. The bungalows are surrounded by colorful flowers, loads of birds and the pool next to them are home to caimans, big fish, and turtles. You will go on three jungle expeditions of which one after dark.
On the sixth day you will be brought back by boat to Leticia in order for you to take your flight to Medellin. A driver will await you in the airport and take you to your hotel.
- Included in tour: 2 nights of accommodation in jungle huts next to the river and 2 nights in bungalows in the middle of the jungle, 1 night of accommodation in Leticia, 3 meals a day on the tour, indigenous Spanish-speaking guide, small group size, drink water, all activities.
- Also included: Accommodation when in Medellin – Hotel Ibis.
To keep in mind:
1. The accommodation in the jungle is basic. You will have to share bathrooms in the first lodge and electricity will only be available between 6 PM and 9 PM.
2. It is advised to travel light as you will have to carry your luggage for 30 minutes on your way to the second accommodation. (around 7 kg. You can leave the rest of your luggage safely behind in the offices in Leticia)
3. Depending on the season some walks might be replaced with canoeing as the water level will be too high.
4. You will be given rubber boots to walk.